Council & Committees
The College’s work is overseen by a Council, consisting of no more than eight midwives elected by the profession, and no more than seven public members appointed by the government. Council sets the strategic direction of the College and ensures our long-term success. Council also holds staff accountable for the way we fulfill our regulatory mandate and duties. Read the College’s general by-law and governance policies here.
Our Council is made up of:
Professional Elected Members
- Claire Ramlogan-Salanga, RM, President
- Edan Thomas, RM, Vice-President, Professional
- Claudette Leduc, RM
- Lilly Martin, RM
- Isabelle Milot, RM
- Lisa Nussey, RM
- Maureen Silverman, RM
- Jan Teevan, RM
Appointed Public Members
- Susan “Sally” Lewis, Vice-President, Public
- Pete Aarssen
- Deirdre Brett
- Marianna Kaminska
- Judith Murray
- John Stasiw
Non-Council Appointed Committee Members (Professional)
- Christi Johnston, RM
- Alexandra Nikitakis, RM
Non-Council Appointed Committee Members (Public)
- Jill Evans
- Samantha Heiydt
Council meets at a minimum of four times a year. Meetings are open to all midwives and to the public. Click here to find out more about our Council meetings and to review materials.
We have seven statutory committees that we are mandated to establish under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991. They are Executive; Registration; Quality Assurance; Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports; Discipline; Fitness to Practise; and Client Relations.
Quality Assurance Committee
Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee
Fitness to Practise Committee
Client Relations Committee
President of the College
Claire Ramlogan-Salanga became President of the College in October 2019.
The President is responsible for ensuring the College’s strategy is formulated clearly, and is well understood both internally and externally. The President has no responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the College but has an important role with stakeholders.
The key responsibilities of the President are:
- Ensuring that Council meets with sufficient frequency
- Ensuring that Council devotes sufficient time and attention to the matters within its mandated responsibilities
- Helping to ensure that Council and its members have the information necessary to make decisions
- Facilitating the running of Council
- Maintaining and developing a productive relationship with the College Registrar & CEO
- With the Registrar, leading the communication of the College’s strategic direction and its policies with the public, the membership, and key stakeholders
- Raising the profile of the College, and establishing and maintaining high-level contacts.
To contact the President, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Claire Ramlogan-Salanga’s Bio
Registrar & CEO
Kelly Dobbin became Registrar & CEO in November 2013.
The Registrar & CEO is responsible for fulfilling the statutory responsibilities of the College as set out in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA) and for implementing the strategy set by the Council. She is also responsible for the leadership of the College.
The Registrar’s key statutory responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the College’s public register is available to clients and members of the public
- Performing registration duties such as registering and reinstating applicants, referring applications to the Registration Committee, and suspending members who do not renew their membership with the College
- Receiving complaints and mandatory reports, and ensuring they are addressed according to the legislation
- Notifying the members of certain legislative changes and proposals.
The Registrar’s other responsibilities include:
- Reporting regularly to Council with appropriate timely and quality information so the Council can discharge its responsibilities effectively
- Informing and consulting Council on all matters of significance to the College so that Council can properly perform their responsibilities
- Developing and delivering the strategic objectives set by Council
- Recommending significant operational changes and major expenditures to Council where these are beyond the Registrar’s authority
- Communicating throughout the College the strategic objectives and the values of the College set by Council, and ensuring that these are achieved in practice
- Recruiting and retaining staff to work at the College.
All College staff ultimately report to the Registrar & CEO. Click here for our staff directory.