September 24, 2018
The College of Midwives of Ontario is recruiting midwives to work as experts who will provide independent expert opinions on behalf of the College.
What is involved
The Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (ICRC) of the College considers obtaining an independent expert opinion to assist in the consideration of all complaints and Registrar’s report investigations dealing with mortality, significant morbidity, and in matters in which there is a likelihood of a referral to Discipline. The ICRC also requests independent expert opinions in other matters on a case-by-case basis.
As an expert, you will provide your independent opinion as to whether or not a midwife met the minimum standards of practise for the profession and/or is incompetent. To do this, you will need to consider the College’s standards; your clinical, research, or teaching experience; and, what is published in standard textbooks, and professional publications. You will be provided with the materials related to the specific case, including midwifery and/or hospital records, and will review these materials in a confidential manner. Your expert opinion will be provided to the College in the form of a formal written report. Should the matter be referred to Discipline, you may be called to testify at a hearing about the opinion provided.
In order to be considered as an expert, an applicant must have the following qualifications:
- Experienced practitioner with a minimum of 10 years of practise
- Respected by peers
- Expert knowledge of regulations, legislations, policies, standards and clinical practise guidelines related to the midwifery profession
- Experience with report writing
- Possess strong communication skills, in order to share information in an objective way
- A graduate degree, teaching experience and/or preceptor experience will be considered assets
In order to be an expert, an applicant must meet the following criteria at the time of application:
- Be a member in good standing with the College
- Be registered in the General or Inactive Class
- Not closely affiliated with the College in the preceding 5 years, including Council and Committee members, and College Assessors
- Not have been a board member or employee of the provincial or national midwifery association in the preceding 5 years
- Not under investigation for professional misconduct, incompetence, or incapacity in any jurisdiction
- Not the subject of a Disciplinary or Incapacity proceeding in any jurisdiction
- Not been suspended or revoked for any reason other than non-payment of fees in any jurisdiction
The College reimburses experts for their services at a rate of $150 per hour.
If you are interested in providing expert opinions on behalf of the College, please send a resume, a cover letter highlighting your specific areas of expertise (e.g. ECV, NRP, breech, fetal health surveillance), and a midwifery related writing sample demonstrating use of references to Krista Madani, Manager, Professional Conduct at email@example.com by November 16, 2018.