Skip to main content
College of Midwives Ontario logo

Classes of Registration

Midwives can be registered in several different classes of registration, General, Supervised Practice, Transitional, and Inactive. Members of the College can apply to change class or resign their registration.


Registrants in the General class practise with no restrictions on their registration. The majority of midwives are members of the General class.

Requirements to hold a General certificate

New Registrants

Under s. 12(1)4 of the Registration Regulation, all members with a General certificate of registration must meet the following requirements in their first year of practice after receiving their initial General certificate of registration:

  1. must only work within an established practice, and
  2. must attend a minimum of 30 births as a primary midwife and 30 births as a second midwife with another general registrant who is not subject to this condition.

All members and practices must be aware of the changes to the New Registrants Policy. The most important changes are summarized below. Click here to access the policy.

Definition of established practice

Working with other new registrants

Transfers of care

Practising in Ontario

Impact on Transitional and Supervised Practice certificate holders

Removal of new registrant conditions

Related Links

New Registrants Policy

New Registrant Conditions Reporting Form

Watch the New Registrants Policy Information Session below.

New Registrants Policy FAQs

New Registrants Policy (Rescinded on June 1, 2019)

Guidelines to the New Registrants Policy  (Rescinded on June 1, 2019)

Supervised Practice

An applicant may be registered with a Supervised Practice certificate of registration in limited circumstances. This class is designed for applicants who do not meet the clinical experience requirements of the General class and therefore require a period of supervision before registration in the General class can be granted. Members in the Supervised Practice class can only practise midwifery under the supervision of an approved supervisor and in accordance with an approved supervision plan. A Supervised Practice certificate can only be granted for a maximum of one year. However, in some circumstances the Registration Committee can approve the reissuance of a supervised practice certificate after the one-year period.

Requirements to hold a Supervised certificate

Related Links

Agreement to Act as Supervisor Form

Criteria for Approval of Supervisors

Supervised Practice Conflict Of Interest Declaration Form

Supervision Information


Applicants who are able to meet all of the entry-to-practice requirements and who have written the national midwifery qualifying examination, but have not received the results of the examination, are eligible for a transitional certificate of Registration. This certificate allows registrants who are awaiting the results of the examination to practise midwifery while under the supervision of a member who holds a General certificate of registration. Transitional certificates are valid for up to 90 days and will be revoked when the registrant is notified that they have passed the examination and are issued a General or Supervised certificate or when they are notified that they have failed the exam.

Requirements to hold a Transitional certificate

Related Links

Transitional Certificate of Registration Requirements and Information

Transitional Certificate – Undertaking Form

Transitional Certificate – Agreement to Act as Supervising Midwife


Members who are not practising midwifery can choose to become Inactive with the College and pay a reduced fee, by applying for an Inactive certificate of registration.  Inactive certificate holders continue to be members of the College and must renew their certificates of registration each year by October 1.

Members in the Inactive class may use the protected title “midwife” or a variation, but it is a condition of an Inactive certificate of registration that the member must not practise midwifery in Ontario. To understand what this means, members should review this Inactive information before changing class.

Members need to apply to change their class back to General, and at that time provide any and all requirements, including fees, professional liability insurance, current proofs of NRP, CPR, ES, and the successful completion of the College’s Jurisprudence Course, if not previously completed. Applications for a General certificate will be reviewed to ensure current clinical experience in accordance with the Registration Regulation and the College policies.

A review by a panel of the Registration Committee may be required to determine a requalification program if the current clinical experience requirements for a General certificate are not met at the time of application.