Closed Public Consultation: Standards Review: Phase 2
About this consultation
We are seeking feedback about Phase 2 of our standards review that includes several recommendations, including the proposed rescinding of the Consultation and Transfer of Care Standard (CTCS) and the implementation of a guide on the midwifery scope of practice. Download the Consultation Paper here.
In 2016, the College adopted a principles-based approach to the development of the standards of practice; an approach that relies on broad principles, rather than rigid rules that midwives must follow. Adopting a principles-based approach required a review of all of the College’s existing standards in order to revise or rescind those with prescriptive rules that limited midwives’ ability to exercise clinical and professional judgment in their midwifery practice. The first part of this review, completed in June 2018, resulted in rescinding a number of standards, such as External Cephalic Version and the Ontario Midwifery Model of Care. At this time, the Professional Standards for Midwives was implemented. We are now completing Phase 2 of our standards review after spending the past two years working on the remaining recommendations from Council.
To complete Phase 2 of the standards review, we are requesting feedback from midwives, the public and stakeholders about our proposal to:
- Rescind the Consultation and Transfer of Care Standard (CTCS), implement the Scope of Practice Guide, and add a standard to the Professional Standards for Midwives that sets minimum expectations for midwives after a transfer of care.
- Rescind the standard Delegation, Orders and Directives and propose changes to the Professional Standards for Midwives.
- Rescind When a Client Chooses Care Outside Midwifery Standards of Practice and make changes to the Guideline on Ending the Midwife-Client Relationship.
How to provide feedback
Please review our Consultation Paper which describes the College’s rationale for rescinding the standards and what will replace them as well as the proposed draft of the Scope of Practice Guide. Once you have reviewed the Consultation Paper and the guide, please return to this page to submit your comments.
If you are a midwife, please consider the following when providing comments:
- Any positive or negative effects rescinding the CTCS will have on clients and your practice
- The time you will need to adjust your practice before the CTCS is rescinded
- Areas of the midwifery scope you don’t understand
- Concerns you have about using the proposed Scope of Practice Guide in practice
- Concerns you have about rescinding the Delegation, Orders and Directives standard
- Concerns you have about rescinding When A Client Chooses Care Outside Midwifery Standards of Practice
All comments are reviewed before being posted publicly to ensure they meet the Posting Guidelines. Your name and email will not be published with your feedback. Your feedback will identify you as a member of the public, a midwife or a stakeholder. Email addresses are required to ensure that each individual only provides feedback once. If you prefer to provide feedback via email, want to respond using a different format, or if you have any questions about the consultation, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This consultation will be open until October 17, 2020.