Closed Public Consultation: Professional Standards Second Consultation
This consultation is now closed.
Setting and maintaining high professional standards is fundamental to public protection and public confidence in the midwifery profession. We need to ensure that the College of Midwives of Ontario standards of practice clearly set out the high standards we expect of all midwives.
The development of the new Professional Standards for Midwives (Professional Standards) is a major step forward in reforming our current standards of practice. It forms the first phase of a wider program of work to streamline our approach to regulation to promote targeted and proportionate regulation in the public interest.
Public protection is at the heart of everything we do, and our principles-based approach to the standards is designed to benefit midwifery clients, the greater public, and the profession as a whole. For more information on our new approach to regulation and what it means in the context of the standards of practice, please read our Consultation Paper.
Our first consultation on the Professional Standards was conducted this past summer. You can read some of the comments from the first round of consultation here.
During the first consultation, we gathered feedback in three different ways: a survey, comments on the website, and e-mails sent directly to the College. We are grateful for the time and effort given by respondents who replied in detail to our first consultation, and we welcome both the support of, and challenges to, our proposals. The comments have provided us with a wide spectrum of views from midwives, regulatory and midwifery stakeholders as well as clients and the public. You can read our response to the first round of consultation here.
In our response paper we,
- Report on the feedback we received and set out our response to all the issues raised in the first consultation.
- Propose changes to the Professional Standards made in response to the feedback received (Appendix A). Please note that where we have made changes to the Professional Standards, additions are shown in purple and deletions have a strikethrough.
- Provide a list of standards that will be rescinded with the implementation of the Professional Standards (Appendix B)
- Propose an implementation timeline (Appendix C)
- Invite further views on the revised Professional Standards by launching the second consultation. It is important that all respondents read our response before submitting their feedback. Please ensure your comments are submitted by 5pm on December 21, 2017. You can leave a comment here on the page, or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org either as an individual or together with your practice.