Applying for Registration
This information covers how to apply for registration as a graduate of the Midwifery Education Program (MEP) or the International Midwifery Pre-registration Program (IMPP).
- A Letter of Eligibility to Graduate and clinical experience record directly from the MEP or a copy of the IMPP final report and clerkship requirement form. A original transcript can also be submitted if it comes directly from the school, however it will only be accepted if it states that the degree has been conferred.
- Proof of completion of the Canadian Midwifery Registration Exam (CMRE) (if applicable).
- Proof of current training in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Obstetrical Emergency Skills (ES) and Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP), unless the declaration has been filled and signed in the Registration Application.
- Proof of completion of the College’s Jurisprudence Course.
- A completed Vulnerable Sector Record Check.
- A clear copy of proof of eligibility to work in Canada (Canadian passport, Permanent Resident card, Employment authorization).
- A clear copy of official photo identification with my legal name (driver’s licence, passport, photo health card, etc).
- A current-coloured headshot.
Applications are reviewed in order to determine completeness and that the applicant meets all of the registration requirements for a General certificate outlined in the Registration Regulation. Once an application has been reviewed, the applicant will be contacted and informed of any missing information or documentation. This usually takes seven days.
2. a) Supervision Plan
When an application is received, the College will review the application for clinical number deficiencies and any gaps in clinical experience. If any deficiencies are found, the College may refer the application to a Panel of the Registration Committee who may prepare an individualized supervision plan. In the plan, a supervising midwife will be designated. Both the applicant and all members of the practice she will be working with during her supervision must sign this supervision plan.
If an application is not complete, the College will advise the applicant by email. Once all items are received, the Registrar will either approve the application, or refer the applicant to the Registration Committee. The Registrar will only refer applications for registration that do not meet the requirements set out in the Registration Regulation. You can read about Registration Committee Panels here.
4. Verification of Professional Liability Insurance status
Upon receipt of insurance and payment of fees, the College will issue the registration number and process the registration documents. Once the applicant has received confirmation from the College of registration, the new member may now begin providing midwifery services. The College will inform the new member of their registration, and the effective date of registration by email. New members will receive their wallet card and electronic certificate of registration immediately via the member portal. Once the member completes their new registrant conditions, they are sent a hard copy General certificate which may take a few weeks to arrive by mail.
Submit your Registration Application Forms
You can submit your Registration Application forms securely below.
Files and message submitted succesfully!