All applicants to the College of Midwives of Ontario must be familiar with the laws, regulations and standards that apply to midwives in Ontario and must demonstrate that by completing the College’s Jurisprudence Course. This requirement applies to all applicants wishing to become registered as a midwife in Ontario as of July 1, 2017.
The completion of a jurisprudence course set and approved by the College’s Registration Committee is a non-exemptible registration requirement, and is outlined in the College’s Registration Regulation (O. Reg. 168/11, s. 7 (7)).
The Jurisprudence Course may be completed up to one year before applying to the College.
About the Jurisprudence Course
The College’s Jurisprudence Course is offered online and consists of a handbook to be reviewed, and an e-Learning module with exam questions. To access the Jurisprudence Course handbook, click here: Jurisprudence Course Handbook
The e-Learning module and exam is open-book, and is divided into 11 lessons which can be completed in any order. Each lesson covers a different topic, with sample quiz questions throughout and exam questions appearing at the end of each lesson.
While there are no limits to the number of attempts an applicant can take to successfully complete the exam question, you are encouraged to not answer the exam questions until confident you have spent sufficient time on the module and have had an opportunity to review the documents referenced in each lesson.
Applicants must correctly answer all questions (100%) to successfully complete the Jurisprudence Course. It takes about four hours to complete, but you can log in and out, and finish it at your own pace. All submitted answers will be saved in the system.
Accessing the Jurisprudence Course
To access the Jurisprudence e-Learning module and examination a user ID and password will be required.
Applicants must complete and submit the Jurisprudence Course registration form directly to the College, including payment, to receive log-in information to access the e-Learning module and examination.
Applicants can submit the form along with payment through one of two methods:
- CHEQUE AND MAIL. The cheque and form can be mailed to the College’s offices at: 21 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 303, Toronto, Ontario, M4T 1L9. Cheques should be payable to: College of Midwives of Ontario and not combined with any other payment.
- ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION AND CREDIT CARD. On the form you can select that you prefer to pay by credit card. If you select this option at the time of registration you will pay the fee by credit card. The form should be submitted through the College’s secure deposit box below.
Click here to access the Jurisprudence Course registration form.
Members who submit an Application for Certificate of Registration Class Change from Inactive to General will automatically be granted access to the course.
To successfully complete the e-Learning module, you must answer all the questions correctly. Once you have successfully completed the module, save and print a copy of your certificate of completion for your records.
Jurisprudence Quick Tips
- Save your user ID and password.
- Print your certificate upon successful completion of the module.
- Review the College’s website and Jurisprudence Course Handbook here: Jurisprudence Course Handbook
- Have the College’s Jurisprudence Handbook available for easy reference during the module.
- Remember completion of the Jurisprudence e-Learning module must occur within the 12-month period immediately preceding the submission of your application.
Submit your Jurisprudence Course Registration Form
You can submit your Jurisprudence course registration form securely below.
Files and message submitted succesfully!