Vulnerable Sector Check
To ensure that the College is fulfilling its mandate of public protection under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, and the Midwifery Act, 1991, all applicants must submit the results of a Canadian Vulnerable Sector Check (VS Check) as part of their application for registration with the College.
In accordance with the Registration Regulation, prior to registration with the College, which enables employment as a midwife in Ontario, an applicant must be deemed suitable to practise the profession. To determine suitability, applicants must provide evidence that they have not been found guilty of any criminal offence, or other offence. In addition, there must be nothing in an applicant’s previous conduct that would afford reasonable grounds for the belief that the applicant will not practise midwifery with decency, honesty, integrity and in accordance with the law.
To prevent delays and to ensure that your VS Check meets the Criminal Record Screening Policy College requirements, please ensure that your VS Check form is completed correctly and please note the following:
- The applicant is responsible for obtaining the correct VS Check and paying all related fees.
- The College only accepts original VS Checks issued within 6 months of the date a complete registration application is submitted to the College.
- The VS Check must be completed on all the names (including middle and maiden names) the applicant is currently using and has used in the past
- The applicant’s full legal name, previous names (if applicable) and date of birth on the VS Check must match the information provided to the College during the application process or it won’t be accepted.
- Original electronic copies of the VS Check from the police services or scanned copies where the seal is visible, and it does not say void, are accepted. If an electronic copy is being submitted, it is recommended that the original hard copy of the VS Check be kept should the College require the original VS Check to be mailed to the College at a later date.
Please note that a finding on any VS Check does not disqualify your application for registration and the application will be processed in accordance with the Criminal Record Screening Policy and Good Character Guide.
Obtaining a VS Check
With the exception of Toronto residents, to apply for your VS check, visit the website of your local police service for details regarding their specific process and payment details. Processing times may vary so we recommend applying for the VS Check well in advance of the date a complete registration application is submitted to the College.
Applicants Requiring a Toronto Police Services VS Check
For a Toronto VS Check, applicants must contact the College at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a Toronto Police Services consent form.
It is your responsibility to send your form and payment to Toronto Police Service. The $65 payment can be made by certified cheque, or money order, payable to Toronto Police Service. Please visit the Toronto Police Service website for instructions and more information on how to submit your completed consent from.