What’s Public About Ontario Midwives?
The College’s public register or “Find a Midwife” is a complete listing of midwives that have been registered with the College. Its purpose is to provide clients and the public with information about Ontario midwives, which may assist them in deciding who to choose for their care.
The searchable online public register allows you to verify the registration of a midwife in Ontario by registration number, first name, last name as well as by practice or by city.
If you cannot find your midwife’s name in the public register or you suspect that someone you are dealing with as a midwife is not registered with the College, please contact us immediately at 416.640.2252 ext. 224 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The content of the public register is determined by section 23 of the Health Professions Procedural Code and Article 14 of the College’s General By-Law . It includes the following information, known to the College:
Personal and Practice Information
- A midwife’s full name, any change to the midwife’s name from the date of initial registration, and any common names and abbreviations that the midwife uses in their place of practice.
- Current and past practice location, business address, and business telephone number.
- A midwife’s position at the midwifery practice
- The name of every health profession corporation of which a midwife is a shareholder.
- Information regarding hospital, birth centre, or health facility privileges held by a midwife, and any revocations, suspensions, or restriction of privileges with a hospital, birth centre, or health facility in Ontario reported to the College.
- If a midwife or former midwife is deceased, the date upon which they died.
- Registration number, registration status, class of registration, and initial registration date with the College, and if applicable, the date on which each was terminated or expired.
- A notation of every suspension or revocation of a midwife’s certificate of registration and a certificate of authorization.
- If the midwife resigned, a notation to that effect and the date that the resignation occurred.
- The terms, conditions and limitations that are in effect on each certificate of registration.
- Information regarding a midwife’s alternate practice arrangements.
- A summary of a midwife’s registration history with the College or other regulators inside and outside of Ontario.
- Oral cautions issued to a midwife by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints & Reports Committee on or after March 1, 2016. As of June 13, 2018, the date the midwife received the caution.
- Written cautions issued to a midwife by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints & Reports Committee on or after March 1, 2016.
- Specified Continuing Education or Remediation Programs that include a monitoring component required by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints & Reports Committee on or after March 1, 2016. As of May 30, 2017, All Specified Continuing Education or Remediation Programs required by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints & Reports Committee. As of June 13, 2018, the date the midwife completed the Specified Continuing Education or Remediation Program.
- Interim orders, including the nature of the order and the date that they took effect.
- Undertakings to resign and never re-apply to practise midwifery in Ontario
- Resignations while under investigation.
- Any acknowledgment and undertakings in relation to matters before the Inquiries, Complaints & Reports Committee or the Discipline Committee that a midwife has entered with the College and that are in effect.
- Referrals to the Discipline Committee, including the date of the referral, the specified allegations, and the notice of hearing and its status.
- Every result of a disciplinary or incapacity proceeding.
- A summary of the decision of the Discipline Committee.
- A notation of every matter and a copy of the specified allegations against the midwife for every matter that has been referred by the Inquiries, Complaints & Reports Committee to the Discipline Committee and that has not been finally resolved.
- Referrals to the Fitness to Practise Committee, including the date of the referral.
- A notation of an application for reinstatement referred to the Discipline Committee.
- Registration history with another regulatory body in any profession inside and outside of Ontario.
- Any finding of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity made against a midwife inside and outside of Ontario.
- Any restriction imposed on a midwife’s certificate of registration by another regulatory body, inside and outside of Ontario.
- A notation of every finding of professional negligence or malpractice made against the member, unless the finding is reversed on appeal.
- A criminal finding of guilt or a finding of guilt under the Health Insurance Act, or the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act made against a midwife and reported by the midwife on or after March 1, 2016. A finding of guilt made by a court against the midwife on or after June 13, 2018 in relation to any provincial or federal offence, which in the opinion of the Registrar is relevant to the suitability to practise.
- A criminal charge or charge under the Health Insurance Act, or the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act laid against a midwife on or after March 1, 2016. A charge laid against the midwife on or after June 13, 2018 in relation to any provincial or federal offence, which in the opinion of the Registrar is relevant to the suitability to practise.
- Summary of any currently existing conditions and restrictions imposed by a court or other lawful authority on or after March 2016.
Pursuant to the Health Professions Procedural Code (Code), the Registrar may refuse to disclose to an individual or post on the College website, information that is available to the public if the Registrar has reasonable grounds to believe that it is obsolete and no longer relevant to a midwife’s suitability to practise. The Code also allows the Registrar to withhold information if it may jeopardize the safety of an individual. For more information on factors that guide the Registrar’s discretion in these instances, please see the College’s Guide on Removing & Withholding Information Under s. 23 of the Code .